Friday, August 24, 2012

WHAT DON'T THEY UNDERSTAND!!!

What don't they get? My husband and I went up to Flagstaff for a few days to cool off. We stayed in a lovely hotel called Little America RIGHT IN THE PINE TREES. I asked for a wheelchair accessible room with a roll in shower. I made it very clear when I made the reservation that I could not walk and use a power wheelchair. We got up to Flagstaff and the hotel was lovely. Lots of accessible parking, accessible ramps to get into the hotel, accessible dining room and gift shop. We checked in and went to our room. The room was large with a King size bed. The bathroom was large, however… the accessible shower was a disappointment. There was no fold-down seat, only a small plastic shower bench. When I tried to use it, it was very wobbly and unstable. There was one grab bar on the far side of the shower, which was slippery and not easy to grab hold of. There was no place near the shower to hang a towel and no shelf or area to put soap, shampoo or conditioner. I understand that people who are not in a wheelchair or do not live with someone who uses a wheelchair really don't understand the needs of a person with a disability. However, I feel that they should ask. What an idea! Surely there are people that can go in and test a room to see if it really is accessible. I did okay. We had a delightful time, it was cool and I love the smell of pine trees. Yes we had some rain but after living in the desert that was okay too. I JUST GET SO FRUSTRATED!

No comments:

Post a Comment