Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Have things improved for us over the past four years? The answer is absolutely yes they have. My husband and I are 61 years old. We have worked all our lives paid taxes, bought a home and were looking forward to “the Golden Years" of our life. Then, I became disabled. I cannot work, or drive and just when we thought we were making ends meet....the recession hit. Four years ago we were near bankruptcy and afraid of losing our home. We had to use most of our retirement funds just to stay afloat. My husband was unemployed, and without health insurance. I am permanently disabled and use a wheelchair full-time. Today: we have received a home loan modification because of the Obama “Making Homes Affordable program, which made it possible to stay in our home. My husband has a part-time job, and acts as my caregiver the rest of the time. I receive Social Security Disability benefits, and Medicare (These are not ‘Entitlements” these are things I paid into during my 35 years of working). We have been able to find somewhat reasonable, low-cost health insurance for my husband. We look forward to the Healthcare Reforms act becoming permanent and long-term for us and for others in our position. Through a Federally funded State run program I was able to get my bathroom remodeled to make it wheelchair accessible so that I could stay in my home and not have to go into a nursing facility. These types of federal aid have helped us tremendously. I believe in my heart that if it were not for programs we might be on the streets or living under a bridge. Yes. Life is better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment