Saturday, July 6, 2013

A Day at Camp


A Day at Camp 

For years I have been involved with the MDA organization I have written articles for the Quest magazine, and raised money for and participated in the MDA Walks. In 2013 I was asked  to be the MDA Arizona Adult ambassador. I am honored to do so. In this position I have attended many fundraising events. I have spoken to many groups and organizations. I always speak about the MDA summer camp for children. I talk about how it takes $800 a year to send one child to camp. I know that this is important and that children are a very big part of what we do. But I don't think I ever really got it. 

. For me it was always important to let the people know that MDA also helps adults like myself. They have helped me in many ways. They allow me $500 a year for repairs to my power wheelchair. I attend their medical clinic at Barrows neurological Institute. I know they do research which may someday find a cure for some of these diseases. 

This year I was invited up to visit the MDA camp and for the first time I think I really got it! These children go to camp for one week a year. During that time they have the opportunity to play, swim, have fun and just be children. There were about 50 children from the ages of about 6 to 9. We had lunch with them and then watched them perform a short reenactment of Harry Potter.

Later the Tucson fire Department came up, and the games began. They set up several games for the children. Three different stations. The children, some in wheelchairs some not, had the opportunity to play and laugh and have fun as all children do. They even invited me to participate in one of the games. I must admit I felt like a kid again.
 
Before the games we went to a shaded area and a few volunteers brought some small ponies over that the children could pet and hug.  There are many animals at camp and I found out that most of them have some kind of disability.  I think camp is fun for them too.
 
The campground is beautiful nestled in the beautiful wooded area of Payson Arizona. All the counselors are volunteers, most of them young men and women.  Each camper is assigned a dedicated counselor who is with them 24 hours a day to help them with whatever they need, whether it is help dressing or using the bathroom or just being a friend. I also recognized many of the MDA people I have known for years. Their job is to make sure everything goes smoothly, and it does.
 
I am very fortunate to have had this opportunity. Now when I asked people to donate money for MDA, and for the children, it will really come from my heart and my experience at camp. 

They will one day find a cure, of this I am certain. Until then, Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment